Re: User comments on R shorthand

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: User comments on R shorthand
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 23:25:51 +0800

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> - Old: R2  ==  a full measure rest in 2/4 time
>> - New: R2  ==  *two* full measure rests in any time signature
>
> Actually, I like this.  This would also help in situations like
>
>       tacet al <rehearsal number 54>
>    |----------------------------------|

Why would R*2 be so desperately painful that it would be worth
breaking compatibility?

I'm not saying I don't like the idea of R without a duration. I *am*
saying that changing the meaning of the number immediately following R
is a bad idea.

One character solves that problem.

>> That breaks backward compatibility.
>
> convert-ly is your friend.

Again... is it worth going this road over **one asterisk**? Really.

hjh