Re: MusicXML project platform

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: MusicXML project platform
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:39:53 -0400

On Apr 26, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> in order not to let this discussion go asleep again, I set up a GitHub project

Hi Urs,  Good idea.  I added the following which I dug up.  As well as the link
to SXML support in Guile 2.0.
-Paul

This discussion on LilyPond's issue tracker gives a lot of insights:

Including comment #15 from Jan Nieuwenhuizen: "You may want to look at
input/regression/to-xml.ly and scm/to-xml.scm, some old and preliminary work
there." Searcing for "to-xml.ly" in the lilypond-devel archive only brings up 5
results, but the file has existed since September 2002 at least:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2002-09/msg00199.html

One possibility is to follow the example of MIDI file creation/export. This
would apparently require working in C++ rather than Scheme or Python. On 10 Jul
2011 Reinhold Kainhofer (who coded the musicxml2ly python script) wrote:

"I have rather been thinking about adding MusicXML export like the MIDI export:
Create some translator (e.g. a base class Exporter or Xporter to indicate XML,
like Performer or Engraver) and subclasses to listen to all the different music
events/grobs. That would probably be the most native and probably also easiest
implementation of MusicXML export. For example, MIDI creation is relatively
simple code-wise (just look at the performer.cc and the audio.cc and midi*.cc
files)."

From the following lilypond-devel thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-07/msg00398.html