How to position whole-bar rests?

From: Peter Toye
Subject: How to position whole-bar rests?
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 10:20:08 +0100

I'm trying to position whole-bar rests onto the bottom line of the staff to keep them out of the way of the cues, and can't get it to work.

I'm still a newbie, and have found out about the \rest command, but this gives me two problems:

1) it doesn't apply to whole bar rests, so the horizontal position of the rest is at the beginning of the bar rather than in the middle.

2) the vertical positioning seems wrong. If I use (in 2/4 time) e2\rest I get a minim rest on the bottom line of the staff (as I'd expect, but don't want). If I use e1*1/2\rest I get a full-bar rest on the 2nd line up, which is the correct rest but one line too high. In all cases I get the error message (which is probably allied to this):

 c:/users/peter_2/appdata/local/temp/frescobaldi-owqqgx/tmpjehynm/Bridge3.ly:6:11: warning: cannot resolve rest collision: rest direction not set
RestText= {
           e2\rest}

Regards,

Peter