Re: Spacing problems with triplets

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Spacing problems with triplets
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:31:39 -0500

On Jun 19, 2013, at 11:49 PM, Helge Kruse wrote:

> The clef doesn't look like the standard Lilypond clef. Can you prodive an
> example that shows how you write this unaligned triplet?
>
> Are there multiple staves in the score? The spacing might be caused by notes
> on another staff line.
>
> Helge
>
> 2013/6/19 Tim McNamara <address@hidden>
> Occasionally LilyPond will render triplets in an ungraceful manner:
> [...]
>
> All the quarter note triplets in the piece which are not under a volta
> bracket are rendered with nice, attractive spacing.  I have seen this before
> and cannot recall if the problem always occurs under a volta bracket.  Is
> this a bug?  This is with 2.16.2, FWIW.

Hi, Helge-

The clef looks different because I am using the LilyJazz font discussed a
couple of months ago.  It makes for more readable lead sheets on stage than the
default fonts.  However, rendering the file using the default fonts creates the
same result.  As noted, I have seen this happen in other lead sheets I have
done but can't recall if this anomaly always occurs under a volta bracket (or
if it only occurs when the triplet is in the second half of the bar, if it
follows 1/2 note rest, etc.).  I haven't had time to try a lot of iterations to
narrow it down.

The skeleton of my lead sheets (the ones using \repeat volta, anyway) look like
this:

I don't know if there is anything in there that is contributory.  I checked the
chord durations and they are all whole notes (f1:maj7 and e1:7 in the case of
the first ending and similar for the chords in the second ending).

In this song's case, \multimeasure.ly is used to get the formatting below
(which looks cleaner than the default of putting the number of bars above the
stave for multimeasure rests), but not using it makes no difference to the
triplets:

FWIW, this is on Mac OS 10.6.8 using LilyPond 2.16.2.

Tim