Re: Subtracting one from the measure number

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Subtracting one from the measure number
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:55:29 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 4:48 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

----- Original Message -----

Well, judging from your picture, you have the magic of changing the
meter silently pat.  So instead of making a real mess in order to get
two bars of \time 4/4 count as one, why don't you just make a single bar
of \compoundTime #'((4 4) (4 4)) instead and manually place the \bar ";"
(or what it was) in the middle?  Because frankly: having two bar numbers
"4" right after another is not looking good to me, either.  You might
need to look at the beaming exceptions to use, but that looks saner to
me than rewinding the bar counter.

My real piece of music doesn't have bar numbers every bar, and the
place where I want to not count a bar number is a change from 4/4 time
to 3/4 time, so in the real case, subtracting one from the bar number
looks perfectly good and reproduces the original piece of music
exactly.

Well, \compoundTime #'((4 4) (3 4)) for that siamese twin bar should
likely work as well.  I'm just throwing this out as an option that looks
a bit more straightforward from the LilyPond input side.  As opposed to
a real bar, it should be a bit more robust against strange things
happening when LilyPond chooses its line break just there.

Of course, with this approach accidentals carry over from one half of
the bar to the next.  That may or may not be desirable.

--
David Kastrup

The other complicating factor is that I do 99.9% of my music layout in the shareware program Noteworthy composer, and so it helps if it's relatively simple to convert something from that syntax to lilypond. In this case, I've set it up so that inserting a hidden bar line in Noteworthy causes your code to kick in and "uncount" the measure number increment. I fancy that trying to convince Noteworthy to handle compound time might be more problematic....

--
Phil Holmes