RE: tablet

From: Jan Rosseel
Subject: RE: tablet
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:29:40 +0200

It's not on-the-fly, but rather on-demand.

Given the slowness of Lilypond, even on a fast machine, one has to count
many seconds to render a part of a symphony. 4th part of Sibelius5 for
example takes 20 seconds on a Core i7 for the violin parts. The trombone
part is done before I can type this sentence :-)  (Yes, I'm a trombone
player...)

So it can never be on the fly. Except if we find a good solution for
partial rendering, but even with clever skipTypesetting markers, it's
just too slow for the immediate feedback that one expects from WYSIWYG
programs. Even more so when taking to roundtrip time to the rendering
server and back.

And no, I'm not rendering PDF. I have my own backend for Lilypond,
largely based on the SVG backend.