Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Maybe bug? Lyrics on a tied note at end of system
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:38:56 -0700

It seems to me that when scores are set with lots of white space, the
rules are followed meticulously (and that this is why computer-generated
scores began by being set much too loosely on the page - it's easier to
follow spacing rules when you have lots of room to do so). As scores are
set tighter on the page (I mean as a "variable", not as a historical
trend), then it can become necessary to break more rules in order to fit
everything in. Lyric spacing is IME generally the first thing to go out
the window in that case.

Isolated, your example looks perfect to me. I think what's making it
look ugly to you is probably that it makes the spacing suddenly wider in
an otherwise fairly-tight score.

I see several possibilities for you (not listed in any order):

- Pretend you like it this way

- Increase the horizontal spacing of the whole score

- Choose a much narrower lyric font

- Print the same lyric font a lot smaller [might be hard to read]

- Put a line break nearby, to prevent line break right there

- Change the syllable alignment for that note [I don't like this choice;
  the singer can't read it very well]

My opinion: because you've been studying this problem for a while now,
Lilypond's default probably looks worse to you than it really is.

--
David R