Re: purpose of commands

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: purpose of commands
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:48:10 +0100

Hi Mark

This snippet is rather contrived and misleading.  I think it should be removed
from the docs, or at least replaced with one which shows when the definition of
voiceFive is really necessary - when explicitly defining voices.

First, the \voicexxx commands are unnecessary when using the << {}\\{}>>
construct.  They have to be placed here only because the voices are entered in
the incorrect order.  If instead the five voices are entered from voice one to
voice five in order omitting voice four everything works fine without having to
define \voiceFive, as shown below.  The bar "||" has no effect in the position
shown.  It should be at the end of one of the five music expressions.

Try this:

% voiceFive = #(context-spec-music (make-voice-props-set 4) 'Voice)

\relative c'' {
  \time 3/4
  \key d \minor
  \partial 2
  <<
    {
%      \voiceOne
      a4. a8
      e'4 e4. e8
      f4 d4. c8
      \bar "||"
    }
    \\
    {
%      \voiceTwo
      d,2
      d4 cis2
      d4 bes2
    }
    \\
    {
%      \voiceThree
      f'2
      bes4 a2
      a4 s2
    }
    \\
% no voice four
    \\
    {
%      \voiceFive
      s2
      g4 g2
      f4 f2

or this

voiceFive = #(context-spec-music (make-voice-props-set 4) 'Voice)

\relative c'' {
  \time 3/4
  \key d \minor
  \partial 2