lilypond slowdown in CGI web program

From: Jim Tisdall
Subject: lilypond slowdown in CGI web program
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:55:56 -0400

Hi, I'm going to briefly sketch this problem, just to see if anyone
else has come across it ... and because being specific would be a
real bear, given the interacting systems involved ...

When I call lilypond to compile a score by means of a web page
that is using CGI, lilypond takes about 25 seconds to
*successfully* complete.  From the commandline,
same files and flags, under a second; from a similar but non-web
program, under a second.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of behavior?

I have many similar scripts that call all sorts of programs under
the same (perl CGI) (apache2) (mac) unix server, no problems.
Problem appears on all attempted web browsers, so seems to be
in the lilypond-apache interaction.  My knowledge of python is slim
and of scheme is rusty; c and perl okay.  Many googles of various
ideas over several months have not worked.  I have seen some stuff
about python slowdowns and fixes, but not sure what to do with that.
I admit I've not dug too deeply into lilypond source code yet, my
c is okay (I'm a bell labs c programmer in a former incarnation.)

I've tried many different flags ... here's the current set:
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond
-dmidi-extension=mid -fps -fpng -dbackend=eps
-deps-box-padding=3.000000 --output=basename lilyfile

Thanks for listening ;>) -- Jim Tisdall