Re: Is there a way to split a score across two sheets?

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Is there a way to split a score across two sheets?
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 14:04:42 +0100

At 14:31 17/10/2013 +0200, Sven Axelsson wrote:
On 17 October 2013 06:12, Ben Beeson wrote:
I use LilyPond for bagpipe music. I find LilyPond and the included bagpipe.ly file to work very well for that task. Thanks!

I looked in the documents and in other places online for help and did not find anything on how to split a score across two sheets, so Iam hoping the list can provide some insight. What I am looking to do is to easily split a score across two sheets much like you can make a score use two pages instead of one with a \pageBreak at the appropriate place. For example, the tune Cabar Feidh is much easier to read from a single sheet if printed landscape as opposed to printing portrait. This is just because some of the bars are "more busy" with doublings and throws etc. than others making certain parts a bit crowded when printing this tune in portrait orientation. I realize I could create two separate scores, one for each sheet, but that becomes cumbersome if you ever decide to display the tune differently.

So I was wondering if there was an easy way to split a score across two sheets when printing so the tune essentially puts the first two bars on the left sheet and the last two bars of each line on the right sheet of an open book?

I'm afraid I don't understand the distinction you make between page and sheet. Apparently \pageBreak doesn't do what you want, so please clarify how what you want differs.

The questioner rambles at first, but I think I see what he means. If you read the last paragraph, I think you'll see he means that he wants to have two sides of (say) A4 paper side by side in landscape orientation, but he wants the music to run across both - so the first system runs across both sheets and the music then turns to the second system also running across both sheets, and so on. There is not a single point, then, where the music moves from one sheet to the other, as there would be with a page break, but the music moves back and forth between the two sheets. Effectively, he want to set the music on an unusual double-A4 (but not A3) page size, but then necessarily to print the result on two separate A4 sheets.

Brian Barker