Automatic beaming in vocal cadenzas

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Automatic beaming in vocal cadenzas
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 21:10:09 -0600

After wrestling with a transcription of an unmetered piece by Mark Sirett (Thou Shalt Know Him), my wife and I were going bonkers trying to get lyrics aligned to the notes. The piece has no time signature and bars of uneven length. We tried using \cadenzaOn to get the unmetered aspect, but the fundamental problem is that \cadenzaOn turns off autoBeam, which in turn means that manual beaming in a cadenza creates unwanted melismata. We worked out that taking out the \cadenzaOn(Off) would help, and getting rid of a default time signature is easy enough, by removing the engraver in the Staff context and entering explicit bars ( \bl = \bar "|" ), but we had to beam by hand and we still got barlines in unexpected (i.e. we didn't enter them!) places. The last pieces of the puzzle were to go to the Layout block and a Score context, to set automaticBars = ##f , then back to our \global for a time signature of 1/4 so that autoBeam would group eighths in twos, Bob's your uncle, and so to bed!

Cheers,
Colin
--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.
-Maya Angelou, poet (1928- )