Re: Gmail and quotes

From: Hilary Snaden
Subject: Re: Gmail and quotes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:55:34 +0000
On 2013-11-14 12:13, David Kastrup wrote:
> SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [fullquote deleted]
>
>> I had no idea this was the norm. I've always been writing on top -
>> including the previous messages below my reply for years now, which
>> I now assume was a byproduct of working as an IT consultant as a
>> secondary job. It feels so unnatural for me to scroll way down to
>> the bottom of a previous message
>
> You _don't_ scroll down to the bottom of a previous message.  You
> are _not_ supposed to leave the previous message in place _except_
> for those parts that you _actively_ refer to.

Perhaps some people listen to Gotterdammerung first and work backwards. :-)

>> but if that is correct etiquette outside of tech support, and for
>> mailing lists, then I will try my hardest to not top post anymore.
>> Sorry in advance.

Top-posting was (and may far all I know still be) the default setting in
M$ Outlook, I suspect a lot of people learned the habit from there.

> The really important thing is _not_ _to_ _fullquote_.  We have
> people doing a fullquote on daily digests of the mailing list.  If we
> get more than one on average doing that, the size of the digest will
> grow exponentially.

It also helps to read through all of a post, and remove irrelevant parts
before sending it.