Re: promoting LilyPond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: promoting LilyPond
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 08:33:02 +0100

Am 03.12.2013 08:23, schrieb flup2:
Although it might look strange, I think that "fair comparison" depends of the
intended use. For advanced users, of course, a finely tuned score of each
software would give better idea of "possible end result". But, for a lot of
users who don't need (or want or know how) those refinements and the
"standard output" (out of the box, without manual tweaking) will be
important.

Regarding the feeling of people about the quality of their tool, it's
simple: most people don't think that their Word layout is crappy. The same
can occur with musical scores, except that even less people know musical
typography. So, a lot of people won't think or feel "my score is bad" if
they don't know which way they could loot better. Some situation will show
LilyPond better, other will show Finale or Sibelius.

I have the experience from the dual perspective (producing and consuming): Playing in orchestras and ensembles you'll get all sorts of scores, and I can definitely second what's written in the lilypond.org essay: the better the material the better the performance (I think this section of the LilyPond introduction was probably the most important single incentive for me to try out LilyPond). But when I'm talking to composers about it they only vaguely and theoretically understand what I'm saying. In general they consider their scores good enough by default. They may think hard about how to unambiguously visualizing their intention and help the player with the right cue notes or (sometimes) page breaks and the like. But making them accept that the engraving quality itself matters is a _hard_ task. Probably composers should get mandatory courses in sight-reading from differently engraved material throughout their studies ;-)

The Word layout example is very good. I can't think of many fellow scholars I've met who'd care for layout and typography of their texts. Maybe they're astonished when they see their texts professionally typeset in a publication, but they wouldn't start to think about using better tools for their own writing. I know of exactly one fellow student who told us he learnt LaTeX to write his doctoral thesis - but not for its typography but for creating Schenker like graphics.

Urs

An (really) adventurous image about that could be Plato's Allegory of the
Cave.

Philippe