Re: promoting LilyPond

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: promoting LilyPond
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 23:45:49 +0100

2013/12/5 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2013/12/2 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>>> At any rate, we need to pitch LilyPond to _ourselves_ and listen what
>>> annoys us.  Particularly when explaining LilyPond to others and/or
>>> pitching it to them.
>>
>> I can do this at any moment.  But how to make sure that it won't end
>> up as another long rant that everybody reads but noone acts upon?
>
> Oh, it _will_ end up as another long rant that everybody reads but noone
> acts upon for a long time.
>
> Issue 3682 tooks decidedly more than a year before I "acted upon" it.
> That's because it's not really convincing me without issue 3648.  And
> for issue 3648, things had to be sorted out in the parser before it
> became feasible.  And, of course, 2.18 had to be branched off.
>
> A lot of things take a basic constellation of things to be right before
> they can be done sensibly.  But such a constellation will not be reached
> by chance: one has to work on it.  And that means that one has to have
> some goals in the back of one's mind.

Heh.  I have tried several times to start various discussions among
devs about things that we should have in the back of our minds, but it
seemed to me that each time i failed ;-)

Anyway, it seems that this (talking about problems so that we'll have
them in the back of our minds) is needed.  Do you have any suggestions
about the actual form of such talk?  Should wee restrict topics
somehow or talk about everything?  Should we add our observations to
the tracker with a "usability" tag?  Should there be someone who'll
introduce topics one by one in some order?

best,
Janek