Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 03:30:06 +0000 (UTC)

Mark Stephen Mrotek <carsonmark <at> ca.rr.com> writes:

> The Lilypond website presents “Manuals” that when clicked displays a page
that starts with “Text Input … Read this first.”
> That hot link goes to a page that has a section titled “Easier editing
environments.” A hot link takes one to a list including Frescobaldi.
> I cannot conceive of anything more straight forward.

I can. New users are likely to start with a download. So, the downloads page
could include a section that explains what it means to download only
LilyPond. Here is the most straightforward place to point to
Frescobaldi/Denemo/etc.

OK, the download page has a link to "Text input" (which people are likely to
ignore, because they're on this page looking for files to download -- if it
doesn't look like an installer, it won't draw attention):

~~
Note: LilyPond is a text-based music engraver; it is more similar to a
programming language than a graphical score editing program. Before
downloading LilyPond, please read about our Text input.
~~

Downloads --> Text input --> Easier editing *if* they read the page carefully.

Sorry, but two or three hops is not the most straightforward path.

hjh

PS:

Thick Prince to Blackadder: "I say, I can't think of anything I could do
with a woman that I couldn't do with you."

Blackadder: "I cannot conceive."