Re: A thought on Windows Experience

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: A thought on Windows Experience
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 01:28:47 -0500

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:12 AM, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:
Carl's two-column approach is pretty much what I had in mind. Although, he suggests this would be only a slight improvement. I think it could be more than that. Suppose we introduce the downloads with a couple of paragraphs across the top:

~~
IMPORTANT: A complete working environment for LilyPond consists of two components: LilyPond itself, and a music editor. If you have installed only one of these, then you're not experiencing LilyPond's full power.

NEW USERS: After installing LilyPond for your operating system, review the editors in the right-hand column and install one of them. Use the editor as your primary LilyPond interface.
~~

I didn't intend my statement to be intended as my thinking it is only a slight improvement. I meant primarily that regardless of however slight it *might* be, it is an improvement, nonetheless.

The page flow I usually see is something like:

Front page --> Download page.

We have most of that. I think we need to find some way to make the front-ends like Frescobaldi and Denemo clearly visible on the downloads page. Go ahead and put in the disclaimer that these aren't maintained by the LP project itself (just to try to stave off confusion). The question that remains in my mind is whether it is more beneficial to redirect to the project site (to get specific install instructions) or to hotlink the install binaries. It's been awhile since I've installed an LP front-end  to remember whether there are particular installation things that have to happen outside of download and run (I know there is for Frescobaldi for Mac, as has been discussed numerous times on this list). Perhaps coordinate with the people on the respective projects to arrange for a download link that always provides the latest stable version?

As I'm beginning to learn my way around the website source files, I'd be willing to help out in implementing whatever is decided, once I get to a good spot on the rest of my list for site formatting.