Re: on marketing

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: on marketing
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:53:44 -0500

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

only some people are interested in "everything", many want just their
own bits of interest.
Denemo is customizable to a great extent, all menus and palettes can be
modified; most users will not do so, but it would be possible to create
specialized versions of Denemo for many different areas of interest.

Richard

Agreed. But consider this. One of the things that the Adobe Creative Suite programs have is customizable workspaces. They have a number of workflow-specific workspaces (for print production or typography, etc.), but then they also have workspaces that emulate other Creative Suite programs so that you can work in one program similarly to another. For instance, when I use Adobe Illustrator, I can use the "Like Photoshop" workspace if I'm familiar with that program, or "Like InDesign" if I'm familiar with it. The workspaces aren't 100% identical, since each has its own set of tools, but it makes it easier to use. The workspace customization includes menu options, toolbars and palettes (and perhaps a couple of other things I can't think of offhand).

Similarly, you could offer the user a "Like Finale" or "Like Sibelius" or "Like MuseScore" environment. While not identical, a similar logic to how those palettes/toolbars are constructed could be applied to ease the learning curve. This would not require specialized "versions," per se, so much as preconfigured preferences, perhaps?

Carl