Re: Alternate endings with chord names above (or below) them look bad

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Alternate endings with chord names above (or below) them look bad
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:09:09 -0800

I don't have a solution to your Lilypond input structuring
question, but I can answer:

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 12:03:19PM -0500, Sam Whited wrote:

> I've been digging through my sheet music collection, but haven't found
> anything with both alternate endings and chord names to look at; what's
> the usual way of engraving this?

The usual way is to put the chord symbols below the volta
bracket, as Lilypond does by default.  I looked at several
publishers and also hand-drawn Real Book charts and could not
find any examples that were otherwise.

If your local library has sheet music or songbooks available for
loan, perhaps you can find some examples there.  Any of the
prevalent "real book"/"fake books" that are out there will also
show examples of the standard practice for chord changes in volta
endings.

Perhaps you can share a *small, cropped* mini-image of a section
where Lilypond's default looks unappealing to you?