Re: Question from a new user

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Question from a new user
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:28:11 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Faulk" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:21 AM

Phil,

Please always "reply all" so that others can also answer your questions and benefit from the answers.

Thanks -- I had looked at that but, as a new user, didn't want to worry about having to specify the beaming. I have enough problems learning this system to see if it will do what I want.

Manual beaming is a doddle:

g8 [ a ] bes4 g4 f2 \bar "|."

Note the square brackets after the note where you want beams to start and finish.

I'm using Scribus and including music snippets within text. Previously I'd been using Encore to score the music, producing a PDF and then extracting the part I wanted. I was hoping this would give me better control while keeping everything in a single document. So far it seems to work -- except that I'm having problems getting the snippet fixed to a particular size. I've tried this:

#(set-global-staff-size 7)

\paper {

left-margin = 0

indent = 0

line-size = 4\in

}

but the results seem inconsistent. Is there a better way?

I'm assuming it's inconsistency in the width. Have you looked up "ragged-right" ?

--
Phil Holmes