Re: Very strange beaming example

From: ul
Subject: Re: Very strange beaming example
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 08:37:57 +0100

Zitat von Keith OHara <address@hidden>:

Urs Liska <ul <at> openlilylib.org> writes:

Has anybody seen this before?

No.  If it is Chopin, what Opus and Number is it ?

It's Leopold Godowsky's Study on Chopin's Study op. 25,11.

And, just out of curiosity, how would you do that in LilyPond?

If possible, use a more standard way to show whatever this means.

I see it's _very_ non-standard notation. But I think it's a clever idea to express the metric ambiguity of that pattern. If one were to engrave this composition I don't see any justification to 'normalize' that notation.

You can set the number of beams fairly easily, but LilyPond always
draws the outer beams so the span across the inner beams

\relative c''{
\set subdivideBeams = ##t
\once\override Beam #'beam-segments = #
(lambda (g)
  (let ((segs (ly:beam::calc-beam-segments g)))
    (display segs)(newline)
    segs))
c16[ d e f d
\set #'stemRightBeamCount = #0
\set #'stemLeftBeamCount = #0
f g e f g a] r4 }

You could probably add some Scheme code to pick out the middle beams
with "vertical-count 1" and replace them with a single beam.

Sorry, I don't know when I'll have access to a decent computer (i.e. one running LilyPond ;-) ) again, so I can't play around with your suggestion right now.

Thanks
Urs