Re: Anybody near a library posessing the "Old Schumann Edition"

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Anybody near a library posessing the "Old Schumann Edition"
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 23:56:12 +0100

Am 30.01.2014 18:28, schrieb Alexander Deubelbeiss:
I wanted to get my hands on a volume of Clara Schumann's edition of
Robert Schumann's works. Unfortunately I realized that we don't have
this at all in my city.

Is there anybody having convenient access to a library that owns this
edition (not the one revised by Wilhelm Kempff)?

Which specific works are we interested in? Between the university and the
Hochschule f?r Musik, Basel seems to have quite a bit of material, much of
which I could at least consult on-site.

How about, for instance:

_Klavier-Werke [Noten] / von Robert Schumann ; erste mit Fingersatz und
Vortragsbezeichnung versehene instructive Ausgabe, nach den Handschriften und
pers?nlicher ?berlieferung hrsg. von Clara Schumann_. Leipzig et al.: Breitkopf
und H?rtel, zw. 1880-1920

OK then: Robert Schumann's Werke, Serie 7: Für Pianoforte zu zwei Händen. No
complete set here, but there happens to be a copy of volume 2 in UB Basel.

Yes, that's it.

Mild problem: this is old enough to only be available in a special reading room
where I can't take any tools other than paper and pencil. Measuring to the mm
is feasible with a paper tape though.

Would that help, and what, precisely, did you need measured?

If it's not too much an effort for you that would help indeed.

We're interested in the page containing "Estrella" from "Carnaval op. 9"

I think what we could use is:
- paper size
- margins and line width
- indent of first system
- bottom margin
- staff height (rastral height)
- total distance from topmost staffline to lowest staffline
  (as it doesn't cover the whole page)
- (largest and smallest PianoStaff height)

Oh my, if I think that I've been in Basel on Monday ...

Best
Urs