Re: Hidden email address ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hidden email address ?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:52:28 +0100

Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi LilyPonders,
>
> Long ago now, when I joined this list I thought that my email address would
> be hidden from the rest of the web world.
>
> During some research this morning I found this site :
> http://www.marshut.com
>
> where all of our e-address are clearly shown (try to put your name in the
> search box and see...)
>
> So I feel a little stupid to ask those basic questions which have probably
> basic answers :
>
> 1) Can I really hide my e-address in this list ?

I don't think so.  Mailing list members can reply to other users
directly.  So anybody subscribed to the mailing list, and that includes
all public mailing list mirrors/archives, has access to the email
addresses.

You can ask individual mailing list archives to hide the originators'
addresses (and most do this by default in some manner) but you have no
guarantee that you'll be able to tell everyone.

The list help offers

    set hide on
    set hide off
        Use `set hide on' to conceal your email address when people request
        the membership list.

But "when people request the membership list" is disabled anyway on all
the public lists I know.  When you are actively writing to a list, your
address will not remain a secret.

--
David Kastrup