Re: Speaks for itself...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Speaks for itself...
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 19:35:49 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> For quite some time i've been thinking that we could make more use of
> Completion_heads_engraver, especially after improvements made by Pal
> Benko.  I realize that it would probably require some work (which i
> unfortunately cannot contribute now), but i think that it may be a
> good idea to make completion engraver the default eventually.

No.  I find the hacking up of off-beat melody lines totally unmusical.
It's about as boring and unsubtle as somebody reading poetry and making
a two second pause after every rhyming syllable even if it appears in
midword.  It would make a total hash of most Renaissance music and a lot
of Baroque music.

There is somewhat of a justification for it in Swing rhythms as the
length of notes depends on their position in the measure.  But in
general, it is more of a nuisance than a help.

Even if you take a look at the example I sent: the whole point of the
rhythm is that it is largely even-spaced.  Doing completion engraving
helps orienting oneself with the overall meter but it obfuscates the
inner logic.  The default autobeaming is still insane, but that's a
different problem from default completion engraving.

--
David Kastrup