Re: Indenting text block on title page

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: Indenting text block on title page
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:13:06 -0600

David,

On 2/24/14 4:54 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Guy Stalnaker <address@hidden> writes:

-1 = #LEFT means align (the reference point) to the left border of the
  text, 1 = #RIGHT means align to the right border of the text, 0 =
  #CENTER means align to the center of the text.

#-5 extrapolates, so it puts the reference point two times the length of
the text (#RIGHT - #LEFT = 2) to the left of the text.

Ah! Reference point of the TEXT not the LINE! So it does indeed make sense that a four-character word will move approximately the distance expected with #-5 #-10, etc. while a seven-word phrase will disappear with #-10. Got it. Thank you.

I'd probably rather use something like

\line { \hspace ...  ... }
or \translate #'(... . ...) ...

myself.  Then you can directly work with units of spacing rather than
jiggling with alignments.

I would swear that I tried that. Which means, again, I'm not doing it right, especially if YOU say this :-)

So ... what is the correct syntax for \hspace (since it is obvious I don't know what I'm doing with \halign either)? In the example snippets \hspace does position text, but in every example that I read it is used to position the second or third text of the example, never the first:

<code>
\markup {
  default text font size
  \hspace #2