Re: Getting rid of initial brace on piano score

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Getting rid of initial brace on piano score
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:52:06 -0500

Hi Peter,

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Peter Toye <address@hidden> wrote:
David,

Thanks again. Comments below.

You're very welcome!

That didn't work - LP complains about an unwanted comma. Replacing by a space or adding spaces don't work either. I'm still trying to work my head around the meta-syntax (which doesn't seem to be documented) in the Notation manual's appendix A which is the only place that \alterBroken appears.

Oh, oops.  That comma should be a dot.  Sometimes I can't see the difference!

So Score.SystemStartBrace ...

The documention in "Available music functions" that you're reading is all there is for 2.16.  Full documentation wasn't written for the function until syntax changes had happened to it.  There is complete documentation for 2.18 at http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/modifying-broken-spanners

You can use the examples there in 2.16 by swapping arguments, but you can't use \alterBroken as a tweak (which is the chief advantage gained by the reordering of arguments).

You might consider upgrading, as there have been quite a few improvements to LilyPond besides this!

--David