Instrument in score block?

From: Maarten Deen
Subject: Instrument in score block?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:28:54 +0200

Is it possible to define headers (like instrument) in the score context? I've tried, and nothing comes up.

Background: I play trumpet and use Lilypond to transpose music. You have parts in F, A, E flat, whatever, and my trumpets are tuned in B flat or C.

So what I do is I write the score in an lyi file and include that in a ly file that does the transposing.

So I get something like below. Two book parts, one with suffix C (so the filename is score-C.pdf) and one with suffix Bes. In the \score I do the transposing. And of course because I do the transposing there, I can only set the instrument there. It is important that you specify which trumpet to take, otherwise you're a full note off ofcourse.

But as I said, this does not work. Are there other options?

\book {
        \bookOutputSuffix "C"

        \score {
                \transpose c bes, { \partI }
                \header { instrument = "Trumpet in C" }
                \layout { ragged-last = ##f }

        } %% \score

} %%\book

\book {
        \bookOutputSuffix "Bes"

        \score {
                \transpose bes bes { \partI }
                \header { instrument = "Trumpet in Bes" }
                \layout { ragged-last = ##f }

        } %% \score

} %%\book

Regards,