Re: Dot-separated list as music function argument

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Dot-separated list as music function argument
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 17:09:36 +0200

Am 09.07.14 15:15, schrieb David Kastrup:
No.  If we have some Word in the place of a function argument, LilyPond
tries interpreting it as a string first.  If the predicate refuses to
accept that, the next try is as a one-element symbol list.  If that gets
accepted, the parser checks whether this symbol list can be extended
with .AnotherWord following.  If the predicate refuses a symbol list,
however, LilyPond tries feeding it a single symbol before giving up.
>Still, wrapped predicates do not get any special handling by th parser.
No predicate at all gets special handling by the parser in music
functions any more (as of issue 3618, version 2.17.29).  You can wrap
them all you want.  LilyPond actually calls the predicates (often
several times, sometimes on partially parsed input) to make its parsing
decisions.
thank you, now I understand
But then that change has not had a lot of publicity: you'll see that
(apart from administrative comments) I have been the only commenter on
issue and code review.
I see
Things are different for markup command arguments: those have not gotten
the whole treatment that music/scheme function arguments have.  It would
be a completely different bag of tricks to do so in markup mode.
I thought so. It would be nice, but I would not call it that important.

Best, Jan-Peter