Re: How to handle changing transpositions

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How to handle changing transpositions
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 13:52:06 +0200

Am 09.09.2014 13:46, schrieb Simon Albrecht:

Am 09.09.2014 um 11:46 schrieb Urs Liska:
Hi list,

I have a problem understanding how to efficiently deal with horn parts that change their transposition with the clef.

That is: In the treble clef the part is notated as \transpose f, c
while in the bass clef it is notated in concert pitch.
This is extremely unusual, I should say. Normally the bass clef would be notated as \transpose f c, that is, as if it were octavating. And isn’t it rather confusing if the transposition changes with the clef? I assume that your master copy of the „Trunkene Lied” uses this convention, but in your place I’d consider changing it, to be honest.

Well, yes, that's the convention of the score. But I also recalled having learned it that way. Once. Decades ago. I'll look into documentation for current orchestration conventions.

Thanks
Urs

Yours, Simon