Demo: Score and parts template

From: James Harkins
Subject: Demo: Score and parts template
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 11:12:26 +0800

Hi,

Since the question came up about organizing LilyPond code for score and parts,
I thought I would make a quick demo of what I believe to be the standard way to
do it. Somehow I pieced these ideas together from LP code that I found online
(Mozart Horn Concerto, as I recall), but I don't remember finding a compact
example.

I used a few bars from a recent woodwind trio, because it uses some notational
features that you would like to be handled automatically -- and which *are*
handled automatically using these techniques:

- Multi-measure rests
- Meter changes
- Tempo markings (at the top of the score only, and in all parts)
- Clef changes in one part, independent of the others
- Transposing instruments

Comments are in the file, but to summarize briefly:

- A "global" variable holds any elements that need to be shared across all
parts. Spacer ("s") rests set the number of bars between tempo changes, meter
or key changes, rehearsal marks, double barlines etc.

- Each instrument has a variable containing notes, rests, dynamics etc. Clef
changes go into these variables (because they are specific to each part).

- The score creates staves for each instrument and fills them with simultaneous
music expressions: << \global \instrumentNotes >>.

- A part is a "\score" containing one staff, using only the instrument's notes.
If the part is for a multi-staff instrument, like piano, the \score would hold
a PianoStaff or StaffGroup.

- \compressFullBarRests in the parts does what you think it should do.
Multi-measure rests should get broken by rehearsal marks etc. (the "global"
things), and that's exactly what happens. I also use the \override because I
don't like Kirchenpausen.

In the real piece, I have a score.ly file that \include's the global and
instrument variables, and separate oboe.ly, clarinet.ly etc. files that
\include only what's needed for each part. For the demo, it's easier to send
just one ly file but you wouldn't do it that way in real life.

/Theme and Variations/ is released under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0; please don't steal
the notes :)

Comments welcome. Hope this is helpful.

hjh