Re: Peer review

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Re: Peer review
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:18:13 +0100

On 02/18/2015 03:30 AM, Craig Dabelstein wrote:
Hi Lilyponders,

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate request for the group, but I was
wondering if anybody had the time to look at a sample part I have
typeset and make any comments regarding the typesetting. There may be
many things here that an experienced typesetter may see that need
improvement, but my eyes don't pick up.

Here is the link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/614749/Berlioz-02-piccolo.pdf

I do think the part looks a little bit compressed, but I have used the
page turn engraver (which I think is one of the greatest inventions of
the modern world!) for instrumental parts such as these.

Many thanks,

Craig

Beautiful. Some off-the-cuff remarks.

I agree with Jay Andersen about cautionary accidentals. I always use the modern-cautionary style -- it implies least confusion.

I do hope you intend to add cue notes to the final product!

I think the typesetting is the opposite of cramped; only 10..11 systems per page. I often have 13 or even 14 on an A4 page (2.19.15, the Lilypond version makes a difference), although with narrower margins. However, the first system of mvt II. is indeed cramped. You might consider widening the first system (e.g. by judiciously inserting a page break into (just) the part).

Is your part intended to start with an external blank page? Else, the page turns are at the wrong side of the page pairs...

Regarding page turns: for the player, it is *far* preferable to have easy page turns than to have few pages. I don't know about the publisher who must pay the printing costs...

At letter [P] in mvt III: a top c# for the piccolo: I don't remember ever having had to play that (and I hope it will be a long time before I meet it).

A matter of preference: if the movements are clearly separated by piece titles and ample vertical white space, I don't indent the first system of the movement.

In Mvt III., from [C]: I think the tuplet spanners are a bit tiring to the eye. How does it look without the spanner lines?

Rutger Hofman
Amsterdam