Re: musicxml2ly

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:44:11 +0000

> On 19 Mar 2015, at 23:20, Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2015, Noeck wrote:
>
>> Hi Craig,
>>
>>> Do I append "for f in *.xml" to the end of my command;
>>
>> No, you put all your command within the for loop:
>>
>> for f in *.xml; do
>> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/musicxml2ly  --nd
>> --nrp --npl --no-beaming -m --language=english $f; done
>>
>> (all this is one line – or written in several lines:)
>>
>> for f in *.xml
>> do
>> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/musicxml2ly \
>> --nd --nrp --npl --no-beaming -m --language=english $f
>> done
>>
>> I hope this syntax is the same on a Mac.
>

> I am not a Mac user. But first thing I thought was: doesn't a Mac have a PATH
> variable like Linux and Windows have, where the long path to ...../bin can be
> added before having to type such long commands?

Indeed it does, but as installed on the Mac “out-of-the-box” Lilypond doesn’t
set up the PATH variable. This means that Lilypond itself can’t be run by
entering “lilypond” at the command line.

As given above, the command is self-contained, which I think is a Good Thing!

It’s (quite reasonably) left as an exercise for the reader to change the PATH,
or put the whole command into a script.

Michael