Feedback on lilypondblog article

From: Noeck
Subject: Feedback on lilypondblog article
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:54:25 +0200

Hi Urs, Abraham, Kieren, et al,

I tried be interfaces described here:
http://lilypondblog.org/2015/03/managing-alternative-fonts-with-lilypond/
It is a very nice idea, it works for me now and I am really excited how
easy it is. The whole library approach is something I am looking forward
to.

I realized some smaller issues when using it and I hope you are
interested at least in some of them. Should I write them here or to you
personally or enter as a github issue? This time here:

1. Font changes do not work when followed by a set-global-staff-size.
This is probably hard to get around but it should be documented that the
order matters.

2. The Beethoven stylesheet changes quite a lot of settings (including
spacing). I tried all the fonts on a piano score: The other font changes
work well and the output still looks good. But the Beethoven font breaks
the layout because it requires more space. How about different
stylesheets for Beethoven: One for a simple font/style change like for
other fonts and one for the complete “Henle impression”?

3. If I have a font in my LP installation which I can use in a paper
block (like described on fonts.openlilylib.org), I can not use it
automatically with the library – I have to add a file in the stylesheets
folder with that name, even though it may be empty. Could a fallback
solution be added here, that one can use an installed font without a
stylesheet?

4. The same, if there is no -brace font, the emmentaler brace font could
be assumed without having to copy the emmentaler brace font to
fontname-brace.otf.

5. Some thoughts/discussion might be needed for text font handling:
Currently, the lilyJAZZText/Chord font is not used automatically even
thouth it belongs to the jazz style. On the other hand, the Beethoven
stylesheet also changes the text font to match the Henle style for
instance. This comes back to the question (2): Is \useNotationFont
selecting a font (including line thickness) or is it selecting a whole
style to match Henle or Peters Edition or what ever style. I would
suggest to separate these two aims.

6. The font install script could accept several destination paths to
install fonts in a list of lilypond directories (like
lilypond-2*/lilypond). That's something I could do, should I?

7. Am I right, that to get the fonts, each zip file has to be downloaded
individually (except wget -r etc.)? How about providing one zip file
containing all fonts to install?

Thanks a lot for your work!

Cheers,
Joram