Re: "Instrument" as first class citizen (Was: ...)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: "Instrument" as first class citizen (Was: ...)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:06:04 -0400

Hi Xavier,

> Actually there is the \addInstrumentDefinition command (used in
> combination with \instrumentSwitch) which does *part* of that.
> See NR 1.6.3 Writing parts > Instrument names
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#instrument-names

Yes… But if we’re [finally!] opening that can of worms in a big way, then
PLEASE let’s solve instrument handling once and for all. (See the many, many
threads in the archive, dating back at least a decade, which discuss in-line
transposition, forcing key signature visibility, and other issues and
frustrations related to instrument switching.)

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info