Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the f

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the future?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:35:59 +0200

Hi Kieren

> personally I find lilypond code in \relative mode easier to read.

Really? I look at

    \relative c,, { c4 g' a b e f' g' a, b,, c’ }

and I can’t immediately tell which octave the last c is in. Looking at

    c,,4 g,, a,, b,, e, f g' a b,, c

it’s perfectly clear right away.

I see the first as less cluttered than the second (and another example of music can appear much more cluttered than above example).

I don't like trying to "see" the music in the lilypond input. I prefer using point-and-click.
Maybe, you, as a composer, want to see the input in a different way from me.