Re: Concepts that may be missing (or are at least hidden) in LilyPond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Concepts that may be missing (or are at least hidden) in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 15:45:00 +0200

Am 27.04.2015 um 15:37 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

I would strongly oppose to *replacing* the current approach with a container
based approach (I don't think you are even considering that, I just want to
make that clear).
+1

What would be good to have is a notion of "select everything in measures 2-4 - over
all possible parts" as this is something that is currently more or less impossible.
Better perhaps would be “select everything from moment X to moment Y (which may
or may not correspond to a barline in one or more voices)”.
Your example would be a proper subset of that functionality.

Ah, you're right.

That makes me think of one implication of the question: About what "level" are we talking about right now? Are we talking about modifying the input files or about modifying the produced scores? This makes a significant difference.

When we're talking about modifying the input files (which is what we usually want when we say: "copy/remove from moment X to Y") This is something LilyPond wouldn't be responsible for, it's definitely something for the editors. But maybe LilyPond could be of help here.

Maybe LilyPond could run through only the first stage (i.e. without producing graphical or MIDI output) and analyze the score. On that way it parses all existing contexts and could maybe determine the positions of all music content. It could then output some kind of list representation that allows an editor like Frescobaldi to determine the locations of all objects inside the requested area in order to take action. Maybe this could also take care of noticing open spanners that are closed inside the range, so that an editor can also offer solutions or ask the user what to do with these. Of course this is a highly simplified sketch, and there's much that has to be considered. But it *could* be an approach.

Urs

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer