Re: Questions about the edition engraver

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Questions about the edition engraver
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 07:26:19 +0200

Hi Joram,

only a few comments as I don't have enough experience yet.

Am 29.04.2015 um 03:09 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Joram,

Is this the right place to ask?
Yes… especially if Jan-Peter picks up the thread.  =)

Yes. We don't have an openlilylib-user list and will probably never have, because I think everything in that context is relevant to lilypond-user as well.
Maybe I'll set up an openlilylib-devel list one day.

1. Can I use the same tweak at several points in time?
Yes, for example

   \editionModList full-score full-score.Score.A \break #’(4 8 12 16)

would put line breaks every four measures.

You can also mix measure numbers with mixed locations like e.g.
#'(4 8 (12 2/4) 16)

2. What do the letters mean in edition.Staff.A?
The [alphabetical] order of such contexts, from the top. So in your example, Staff.B would correspond to your “mg”.

n.b. I have requested of Jan-Peter that the edition-engraver allow id- or name-based addressing, so you could use "full-score.Staff.mg" or even just “full-score.mg”; I don’t know the current status of that request.

Jan-Peter provided a patch and created a pull request (which actually is/was assigned to you, Kieren).
It is still pending because I didn't have to sort out why it doesn't compile with our current big score and don't want to run the risk of breaking that right before the performance.
But the new interface is right around the corner ...

3. How can I address a temporary voice in some measure?
  a) One with << · \\ · >>?
  b) One with << · \new Voice { · } >>?
That I can’t answer.  =\

It is useful to inspect the logfiles that are produced by the edition-engraver. These give a record of the voices that are created along the way.

HTH
Urs

I’ll have to think about that one.

Hope this helps!