Re: what does this error message mean?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: what does this error message mean?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:47:02 +0200

>> I get the following errors when I compile the attached file:
>>

>> programming error: bounds of spanner are invalid
>>
>> continuing, cross fingers
>>
>> programming error: bounds of spanner are invalid
>>
>> continuing, cross fingers
>>
>> programming error: bounds of spanner are invalid
>>
>> continuing, cross fingers
>>

>> What’s causing this? What can I do about it?
>>

>> I’m still very much a newbie…
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

>> William Zeitler
>
> Please provide a tiny example demonstrating the problem.
> See:
> http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html
>
> You may want to read the following first:
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/troubleshooting

Doing so I found
endline = | { \nBreak }
caused the problem.
Commenting this (even unused setting) will cure the problem on 2.18.2

With 2.19.21 I got on the unchanged file:
(I always rename the newest unstable in order to call it with:
lilydevel file-xy.ly)

lilydevel william.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.19.21
Processing `william.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[0]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Interpreting music...[8][16]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 or 2 pages...lilydevel:
/home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/linux-64/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-release-unstable/lily/page-breaking.cc:1040:
void Page_breaking::line_divisions_rec(vsize, const Line_division&,
const Line_division&, Page_breaking::Line_division*): Assertion
`my_index == 0' failed.
Abgebrochen

what?
This message is not very helpful to say the least ...