Re: chorus staff then hymn

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: chorus staff then hymn
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 02:28:55 +0200

> My hymn starts with a chorus and then goes to the verses, so
> I want to put the chorus on its own staff, then put the
> verses together as numbered lyrics.
>
> Problem is that the staves always group together as if they
> were polyphony and I don't want them grouped.
> I tried without \staffgroup but it doesn't work.
>
> How can I make it stop and start over?
>
> \score {
>          \new staffgroup   <<
>
>              \new staff {
>                  \chorusMelody
>                  \addlyrics { \chorusLyrics }
>              }
>          \new staff {
>                  \melody
>                  \addlyrics { \wordsOne }
>                  \addlyrics { \wordsTwo }
>                  \addlyrics { \wordsThree }
>                  \addlyrics { \wordsFour }
>                  \addlyrics { \wordsFive }
>                  \addlyrics { \wordsSix }
>              }
>

> }

1. ALWAYS provide a minimal working example whenever possible.
2. I'm not sure I understand what you wish to achieve, but is it (very
 roughly and very basically) something like this ?

\version "2.18.2"
\score {
  {
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff << \new Voice { { c'' c'' c'' c'' \break } }
                    \addlyrics { "Chorus" }

    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff << \new Voice { { g' g' g' g' } }
               \addlyrics { "Verse 1" }
               \addlyrics { "Verse 2" }
               \addlyrics { "Verse 3" }
               \addlyrics { "Verse 4" }