Re: Spaces around braces

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Spaces around braces
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:05:36 +0200

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I keep noticing that many users don’t put any spaces around { } =
> etc. I recall reading when I had just started working with Lily that
> it’s recommended to _always_ surround these with spaces.
> Ultimately, this is a GLISS issue, but is there any striking reason
> right now to request using the spaces? Or does it not actually matter
> except that it un-eases reading foreign code following a different
> convention?

I don't think anything relies on the spaces here.  In general, sticking
with formatting conventions is a good idea because it makes it more
likely that convert-ly will work.

But that usually affects gratuitous spaces a lot more than missing
ones.  For example, when writing Scheme code of the

# (
      ly:export (
                   + 2 3
                )
  )

variety.  Where a space is usually present but not required, the
convert-ly patterns will usually use something like \s*, but where one
is unexpected, the patterns are unlikely to contain one.

--
David Kastrup