Re: Font search path (Linux)

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Font search path (Linux)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:21:18 +0100

On 28/07/15 14:06, Ralf Mattes wrote:
> No, this is ba advice: anything under /usr/  is owned and managed by the
> system/vendor
> (on linux most likely by the system's package manager). The system is free to
> (and often will)
> remove/overwrite these files.
> User/Admin installs should be put into the /usr/local/ subtree.
> So, to install custom fonts for all users of the system, copy them into
> /usr/local/share/fonts.
> On systems using fontconfig (pretty much all distros by now) you can also
> place the fonts
> in the ~/.fonts directory.
> To see a list of all fonts available to fontconfig run:
>  fc-list
> This will also show the path where a font was found (sometimes usefull when a
> font
> is installed in more than one version).

Thanks. I'll move that folder across. But that's why I created a
specific folder for Windows fonts :-)

>> > One reboot later, all those windows fonts were available to my linux
>> > programs.
> You never need to reboot linux to update the font information!
> If the newly installed font really doesn't show up with fc-list (it should)
> you
> can run 'fc-cache -f -v'

I believe I did ... and it didn't work ... Certainly I followed the
advice of a couple of web pages which certainly mentioned something
along those lines ... I knew it *shouldn't* be necessary to reboot, but
the correct incantation eluded me.

Anyways, my system is a home workstation which gets shut down every
(well almost every) night, so one reboot more or less doesn't matter :-)

Cheers,
Wol