Re: Changing staff size

From: Jérôme Plût
Subject: Re: Changing staff size
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 19:23:03 +0200

Quinto Kalendas Augustas MMXV scripsit Kevin Barry :
> Hi Jerome,
>
> The most relevant part of the manuals for your question is probably here:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/
> changing-context-default-settings
>
> It should answer all of your questions (and there is even an example of how to
> store a \with block in a variable.

Thanks for your answer. This explains \with a bit more for me.
However, \layout is still a mystery, even after reading through
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/the-layout-block
.

I have a few questions about \layout:
 * why does, inside a \layout {} block, the macro \context behave
   differently? Instead of \context Staff = "name", I now have to type
   \context { \Staff }, which is surprising, and leads to:
 * is there a way to point to a specific staff to change the settings
   only for this one? \layout { \context { \Staff = "name" } }
   does not work, cf. example below:

\version "2.18.2"
reduce = \with { fontSize = #-3 }
\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
  \new Staff = "a" { a a a }
  \new Staff = "b" { b b b }

  \layout { \context { \Staff = "a" \reduce } }
}

 * is there a way, that I missed, to store in a variable a \with or a
   \layout block, and then to apply this *to one element of a score
   only*? The answer your mail pointed to applied it to the whole
   score.
   (Overcomplicated idea that might work: is it, for example, possible
   to clone the Staff context into a SmallerStaff context, and to
   change the settings for that one?)