add stems to rests under a beam?

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: add stems to rests under a beam?
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 12:24:50 +0800

So, I have the following:

{ c2~ c4 c8[ r16 c16] | c4 }

in Lily, the r16 does not get a stem, nor a second beam, which looks … muddled. How do I change this behavior? I would like the beaming to be exactly as if the r16 were a note, but with the stem ending a bit above the position of the rest (ideally in between staff lines). This is how I see it in a lot of contemporary scores; is there a way to make this default behavior when including rests in beamed groups?