Re: Style question for bar checks

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Style question for bar checks
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 18:31:37 +0000 (UTC)

Noeck <noeck.marburg <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Would you recommend putting the bar check always after the note or in
> some circumstances also after an including brace?

>   \alternative {
>     { a2 b } |  % wrong
>     { a2 a } |  % wrong
>   }

If there is more than one measure in each alternative sequence,
then the | go inside each the {} for each sequence.
If each alternative sequence is shorter than one measure,
the | has to go outside the entire \alternative {{} {}} |

Alternatives that fit exactly one measure could be written either way.
I prefer a single | outside the \alternative

> This makes me think one should perhaps always write `a | }`
> instead of `a } |` – but how about this case?
>   a2 \tuplet 3/2 { a4 a a } |

The tuplet is less than a measure long, so the | makes more sense outside.

I make fewer mistakes when I use Michael Hendry's style
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-04/msg00892.html