Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 23:15:04 +0200

Thank you for the pointer to the two programs I never have heard of before. Off Topic but very interesting.

As you mentioned Rameau I will add, that the idea of "chord inversion" goes back to Lippius from Leipzig in Germany "trias harmonica" from 1609 and is not original to Rameau as often stated. Possibly there were connections? Bit I never found any evidence for a connection Bach-Rameau?

I think jazz with chords providing a sense of closure, are closer to Rameau than to Bach. (The later has a more tonal than chordal approach - my personal interpretation.)

One of my idea is, that the modal jazz using musical modes rather than chord progressions as a harmonic framework is closer to Renaissance. As the jazz prior to the modal overtaking was based on the Barock tonality. But my theoretical basis and my patience is not sufficient to work this out.