Re: ‘new text-spanner’ development

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ‘new text-spanner’ development
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 16:53:29 +0200

David Nalesnik <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 7:35 AM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 6:54 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> the following open-coded loop is
>>> both opaque and inefficient (namely O(n^2) as _appending_ to a list is
>>> an O(n) operation):
>>>

>> OK, thanks!  Will update accordingly.
>>

> I removed that idiom from the code, so it should be somewhat more efficient.

Well, the efficiency is not likely a concern for most use cases here.
But of course, once a text spanner like that is available, one can
indeed let it accompany a whole piece with hundreds or thousands of
elements.  And then it may become quite noticeable.

While O(n^2) code is sort of an automatic trigger for programmer
neuroses for me, I was more concerned about the readability.  Use of
"map" makes the relation between input and output more transparent.

--
David Kastrup