Remove empty staves but one.

From: preid
Subject: Remove empty staves but one.
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 10:53:43 -0700 (MST)

Dear list,

I'm working on a stage musical type score in which the last few bars contain
only spoken text over rests.  I am using this code :

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \RemoveEmptyStaves
      % To use the setting globally, uncomment the following line:
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
\version "2.18.2"

I'm using this code within \score to display my spoken text as recommended
in the fine manual.
      \override LyricText.font-shape = #'italic
      \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT

Everything works great except that the last staves are hidden since they
contain only rests, and the spoken text floats in the void. Is there a way
of overriding RemoveEmptyStaves temporarily, perhaps by forcing a bar rest
to appear for instance.

I've done lots of searching and up to now I've always found solutions to my
problems but this one has got me stumped.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

PS. Thanks to everyone who contributes to Lilypond I'm really enjoying using
it and I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into it.