Re: ChordNames: Brandt & Roemer exceptions

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: ChordNames: Brandt & Roemer exceptions
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 20:29:09 -0500

Hi Harm,

> is Joram's pdf really what Brandt&Roemer propose??

The black and green are, I believe, exactly what B&R propose.

> Looking at the chord no 5 and 6 of this pdf I'd read the symbol's as
> e-major with added lowered 6th and f-major with added sharpened 6th.

Their system is hardly a standard. That being said, it has many attractive
qualities — not the least of which is that it is far more consistent than any
other I’ve ever come across.

As to these particular examples… In the B&R system, all scale-degree
alterations must be in parentheses; hence nobody familiar with their
notation/system could possibly confuse F#6, i.e., an F# major triad with added
[major] 6th degree, for F(#6), i.e., an F major triad with sharpened 6th scale
degree. And that would be even before the glyph positioning, which further
reduces possible ambiguity.

I’m not suggesting anyone implement this system if they don’t want to. I’m
simply asking for commentary on *my* Lilypond implementation of the system as
defined by B&R. I’m hoping the example file, once it’s finished and properly
vetted by the Pond, will form the basis of any number of chord name exception
files (including, hopefully, one which is more standard than either B&R or
Lilypond’s Ignatzek default).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer