Re: grace notes MIDI playback

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: grace notes MIDI playback
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 13:55:34 -0600

On Sat 28 Nov 2015 at 06:23:00 (-0700), Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
> David Kastrup wrote
> > So how should this be rigged instead?  Nominal length, unless that would
> > swallow all of the following notelength or more?  And otherwise scale
> > down repeatedly by a factor of 2 until it doesn't?
>
> That sounds like an excellent approach as appogiaturas should be played with
> their nominal lengths. For instance, see the first bar of the original
> notation of Mozart's Alla Turca rondo:
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184220/mozart_allaturca.png>
>
> It should be interpreted as:
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184220/RondoAllaTurcaMozart.png>

That's not true for all appoggiaturas of that era, is it? I was
taught that c8 b4. would be performed as c4 b8 or even c4 b8-. which
would sound like c4 b16 r16 perhaps.

Looking in learned texts, I've just come across one where
c8 b2 r2 is to be performed c2 b2 so that rest is gone.

(c8 is an appoggiatura in all cases above.)

Cheers,
David.