Re: big (?) challenge: multi-segment / multi-angle OttavaBracket

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: big (?) challenge: multi-segment / multi-angle OttavaBracket
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 17:50:55 -0500

Hi Harm,

> you don't provide any code ;)

Well, to be honest, I didn’t expect an actual [honest-to-goodness Lilypond
code] fix: I thought the answer would either be “look at X snippet” or “can’t
be done” or “this is issue Y”, or in the very best case scenario “one *could*
create a ’kneed-spanner’ thingee, if one wanted to”…

I sometimes forget there are [amazing] people like you on this list, who might
actually take it upon themselves to solve such a gargantuan problem as a first
response.  =\

In the future, I’ll make it more explicit when I’m only looking [at first] for
a quick “possible/impossible” answer.

> I really dislike inline-images.

Hmmm… I think that’s a problem with my mail application; I’ll look into it, and
try to use only outline (?) attachments from now on.

> Below some code, which hopefully does what you want

HOLY MOLY! This is fabulous.
1. Yes, it appears (at least, from your snippet) to do exactly what I want; I
will test it “in production", and report back ASAP.
2. Let me know (off-line, if desired) what a reasonable fee is for your work;
I’ll definitely pay you something.

> Every layout-change will likely result in the need of readjusting…

That’s fine by me, at least in the short term: I can do all of the tweaking in
the edition-engraver (post-layout).

> It would be far simpler if one could add an option to make-path-stencil to
> draw dashed lines.
> But I found no way to do so. Thus I defined `make-dashed-line-stencil' and
> `make-connected-dashed-line-stencil' first.
> With `kneed-line' I try to give you a little easier to use code at hand, but
> I'm really not convinced.

Well, if anyone else finds this idea worth pursuing/sponsoring, perhaps we can
crowd-source your code into an awesome patch!?

Thanks again!
I’ll report back soon.

Cheers,
Kieren.