Re: How to transpose an entire piece of music?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How to transpose an entire piece of music?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 10:02:51 -0500

Hi Bernhard,

> When I searched for Lilypond transponieren (transpose) I was not at all
> clear that this could be done on an entire piece. There is no example
> where score is mentioned.

While it doesn’t explicitly say “score”, it does [at least on the English site]
say: “Consider a piece written in the key of D-major. It can be transposed up
to E-major; note that the key signature is automatically transposed as well.”
The subsequent example shows an entire score being transposed in that manner.
In light of the phrase “a piece” and the included example, I believe the
documentation implies “a score”.

I would imagine that being explicit simply isn’t possible, since one would have
to then change the example to be at least

   \score {
    \new GrandStaff <<
      \new StaffGroup <<
        \new Staff \relative { … the music … }

   }

and even that might not be explicit enough for some people (e.g., “What if I
want to transpose a score with a ChoirStaff in it?”).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info